Tuesday, March 4, 2008

India to USA-Part 3

Hmm, now i was in the Airport. Bharath and Nikki dropped my luggage off at the airport and left (Wanted them to stay but felt that would get me weaker). My parents were there with me. I could see my mom was in the verge of crying, holding her tears, making sure that it doesn't affect me (Now that she was the one who told me that it was my work and it was nice for me to get off from the protection of home). That was when i had the strong feeling in my mind "Did i do the right thing? Is going to US really required?" (Oh GOSH!!! I still cant get that question of my mind). I spoke my parents off the broken window were my mom said ("Channagge nodkoo, time sariyagge oota maddu, gasthe acche thinnbedda") (Translation : Take care of yourself, have food at the right time, dont eat out too many times.) I said "Worry madkonbedda i will be great" (Am i? ;) ).

After talking for 15 mins, i told my parents to get back home and that i would call them. They said "Yes" and left the airport. I guess those were the worst 2hrs of my life so far. Was alone, roaming around the airport and trying to talk to each one of my friends. Mala (Its a guy, name is Malakondaiah), Rashmi, My parents, Ravi, Santhosh, Bharath, Sanjana.... The list goes on... Then found something interesting to do, overhearing 4 Scott's on the airport. Was wondering why i was not able to understand whatever they spoke (man that accent, didn't know my boss here would have the same accent ;), i can understand him though ;) (now) ). Then comes the announcement, i picked up my trolley bag and started moving towards the check in area. Was a little worried (first time on a flight and off course the bad tummy ;).). finally reached my seat, was hoping that an Indian would sit next to me, but it was not to be :). It was an American lady (She as actually from Porto Rico). She had come on a GE Project to Bangalore. She just and a "Hi" and slept :).

The flight started moving,I was thinking "Man if this flight stops here i am going to call for the crew and get back home ;)" ... But, it didn't. Saw Benguluru from the sky, it was a pretty sight. :). Saw it for the last time, thinking that i wouldn't see her again for an year (In India, everything pretty is her, unlike NY where you have Hudson River, etc). The flight was boring, spoke to the lady next to me. She was very reassuring she always told me "You will be great" :). I had a connecting flight to catch at Heath row Airport. The flight was at 2:45 PM (GMT, forgot to mention my Flight in B'lore was at 6:30AM) and i was still mid at 1:00 PM ;), Surprising!! I was that i was not tensed. :)... Well i went to heath row 1hr earlier, at 1:45.. Foreign land was nice (considering i had never gone above Goa, its a south Indian state ;), very south ;) ).

Then i remembered all the things that Mythili told me
1)Before getting down from the flight in Heathrow make sure you pick a bottle of water from the flight - Did that, took a bottle of water
2)Have the water with you, water is too costly in airports - Couldn't do this as there was a big board which read "No bottle allowed over this point, and the lady cop (incidentally a Desi) told me to chuck the bottle.

Roamed around heathrow, the airport looked like a mall ;). Ferraro Roche was the first thing that pulled my eye ;). Just realized that i can have any number of Ferraro Roche's i was getting to my chocolate partner (There is a competition here, 2 people Roopa (My pretty sister) and Priya (another sister, man, what would have i done without her, she was my weekend survival trick ;) )).

Finally!! The call from my next flight (After a delay of 1 hr), i boarded my next flight (Flight took off after another 45mins, no runway was free).. This time though it was an Indian next to me (He didn't talk a word ;) ). The flight was overfilled with American air hostesses. The food was awesomely awful ;). The lady in my previous flight suggested me to taste Cranberry Juice. So it was time for a few cranberry juices (Actually 8 cups of them ;) ). Now, i was stuck.. knew couldn't go back, hoped that things will work out fine for me (Hoped bad). Slept in that flight for around 5 hrs.. Reached Newark airport, got my immigration done without any problem, well almost, i didn't like being called an alien ;) (Well who cares now ;) ). Then had to pick my bags, thanks to people (who said British airways is bad with luggage) i didn't recognize one of my bag for 45 long mins (Even thou it ran over me 10 times ;) ). Finally decided to check the lonely bag.. guess what, it was the bag i was looking for. :))

Next on my blog me reaching America and what happened next (The sifting of 4 houses in a week was an experience (A bitter one, was made a little better by Priya and Prasad)). Will sign off now.

2 comments:

myths said...

You really did mean it in DETAIL alwa ! yapppppa
;)) but its nice to read.

Unknown said...

There is no good mariner without a rough sea...
I am sure you believe in the fact that your journey has been much soothing than many other people. I am glad that you are well settled now.
Keep up your good work.
best regards